Robert J. Parnell, CFA, LLB
President and Chief Executive Officer
SettlementAnalytics was founded by Robert Parnell in 2011 to bring the application of quantitative and scientific methods to the economic analysis of litigation.
Mr Parnell is a recognized pioneer in applied litigation game theory. He is responsible for developing the first fully-specified set of signaling and screening models for litigation settlement bargaining, the first game theory analytics platform for legal dispute, and the first-ever commercial application of trial selection theory. Mr Parnell is the sole author of all proprietary mathematical models and the sole architect of all software applications developed by the firm.
Prior to founding SettlementAnalytics, Mr. Parnell had over 18-years of experience in finance and institutional investment management in analytic, treasury, trading, risk management, portfolio management and executive roles. During his career Mr Parnell has been responsible for the discretionary management of investment portfolios in excess of $1 billion. Robert has a BSc in physics from King’s College London, an MBA from the Ivey Business School and a law degree from the University of London. He is also a holder of the right to use the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation.
SettlementAnalytics is the culmination of nine years of research into the use of quantitative methods in the analysis of litigation and settlement bargaining. This work has included the integration of game theory, information economics, trial selection theory, financial economics and Monte Carlo simulation and its application to the valuation of legal claims, the settlement bargaining problem and the evaluation of litigation as an investment decision. From this research, Mr Parnell has developed seven distinct proprietary technologies:
- OptiSettle™ – the first game theory analytics platform for legal dispute
- Litigation Settlement Failure Index™ (LSF Index™) – the first commercial application of trial selection theory
- Game Theoretic Model Suite – a collection of 12 proprietary game theoretic models of litigation and settlement bargaining
- Unified Trial Selection Model™ (UTS Model™) – the first fully-specified model of trial selection
- LitigationSimulator™ – a proprietary simulation technology integrating Monte Carlo simulation and game theoretic models of dispute
- Law-Stats™ – a set of online tools of statistical analysis, specifically designed for the analysis of empirical legal data
- Litigation Game Theory Professional Development Programs – the first professional development courses devoted to applied litigation game theory
These technologies in concert with Mr Parnell’s extensive experience in finance and institutional investment management combine to bring strong quantitative insights into client litigation risk management issues and settlement bargaining opportunities. Drawing upon his research, Mr Parnell has written a number of informative articles and white papers on some of the more complex issues involved in litigation and settlement analysis, including:
- Conflict Analytics: The Game Theory of Legal Dispute
- LSF Index: Litigation Settlement Failure Prediction
- Value in the Shadow of Conflict: Intellectual Property Rights in Dispute
- Pricing Trial Risk: The Tangible Cost of Uncertainty in Commercial Litigation
- The Price of Punishment: A Quantitative Approach to Valuing Punitive Damage Risk
- When Contingent Fees Attack: The Impact of Fee Structure on Settlement Incentives
- When Big Legal Data isn’t Big Enough: Limitations in Legal Data Analytics
- The Critical Cost of Capital: The Importance of Capital Cost Profiling in Settlement Analysis
- Three Dimensional Bargaining: On the Term Structure of Settlement Bargaining Optimization
Robert is the proud father of two sons. He has been a licensed private pilot since 2005.